Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Knitting and Crocheting – a Time to Relax and Reflect

When I was a teenager I learned to knit. After I learned to knit I became attached to this activity. Going to school and taking various tests and exams was stressful. After doing homework for a while I would stop and take my knitting needles and yarn and start knitting a project --a sweater, for example. During these early years I didn’t question myself as to why I was drawn so much to knitting. Now, as a grown up, I understand the reasons. There is something soothing and relaxing about knitting. Making stitch after stitch, row after row, a piece of clothing grows right in front of your eyes.  You are relaxing and creating something at the same time. You go at your own pace and there is no rush.
Recently with the help of the book I learned how to crochet. Crocheting is different from knitting, but has the same benefits.  It is so nice to come back home from work, from the fast-paced world and after dinner, sit down in a comfortable chair to crochet or knit. They say it is good to start unwinding a couple of hours before going to sleep, and this is my way of unwinding. The speed of my thinking gradually slows down as I go into my mind over what happened throughout the day, making plans for the next day. I visualize achieving my goals while preparing for a wonderful day tomorrow. Tiredness from the day catches up with me after about an hour of crocheting or knitting. Then I am ready to go to bed.
I can say that crocheting and knitting is a form of quiet meditation as well as a calming and creative activity. Now, if you ask me which I like better -- knitting or crocheting -- I must say, both!

No comments:

Post a Comment