Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Book Review: Ask For It by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever

Statistics are showing that even in this day and age “women on average earn only 77 cents for every dollar earned by a man.” These are women that have the same or better qualifications than do men. Why does this wage gap exist? The answer to this and other questions can be found in the book I read called Ask For It, How Women can use the Power of Negotiation to get what they really want, written by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever. The book is a four-phase program. The authors are saying that by completing all four phases of the program “you’ll be equipped to use the power of negotiation in sophisticated, flexible, and creative ways – and use it to achieve gains in your life that extend far beyond getting a raise or a promotion.” This book educates and gives specific strategies and tips on how to negotiate. It also empowers women to get what they want.
Linda’s research team found evidence that men initiate negotiations “about four times as frequently as women do.” Thus men advance in their positions much faster and earn more money throughout their careers than do women. Linda gives examples of how outrageously expensive it turns out to be for women who do not negotiate.
Phase One of the book gave me ideas on how I could improve some areas of my life by finding out what is missing in those targeted areas. It made me think about my dreams and aspirations and reflect on the times I was happiest. I learned about societal biases. In Phase Two I learned about basic concepts of negotiation and how and where to gather the right information necessary to conduct a successful negotiation. Phase Three expanded on the basics of negotiation and I learned specific terms and strategies. I got in shape following a six week “Negotiation Gym” program. In Phase Four I learned how to prepare most effectively for a negotiation. All four phases were packed with examples of real-life women who negotiated what they wanted and it was especially helpful to me. Some of these negotiations were successful and some were not, and in each unsuccessful example the authors analyzed what would make that particular negotiation go better.

The four-phase program is a great way for women to learn how to negotiate and improve their lives. I, personally, will be referring to the book often to remind myself of the strategies and tips necessary for successful negotiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment