Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Book Review: Life Makeovers by Cheryl Richardson

Sometimes I wish that a particular book ended up on my reading table much earlier because of the important lessons that the book has taught me.  After learning these lessons I think: “I wish I read about it five years ago”. This was the case with a book I read called Life Makeovers, 52 Practical and Inspiring Ways to improve your life one week at a time, by Cheryl Richardson. By the end of the program, Cheryl Richardson says, “you’ll find that the lost parts of yourself start to come together to form a pretty amazing life.” The author of the book is a professional coach and that is why it feels like somebody is gently guiding you along the way. The book was designed to be read over a year’s time.
Each week I was introduced to a new topic. Because each chapter is only between two and four pages long I found it easy to fit this program into my busy schedule. I enjoyed reading quotes of various public figures and authors in the beginning of each chapter. The author encouraged me to take action by completing the Take Action Challenge part of each chapter. I used some of the Resources provided at the end of the chapter to help me with my Action Challenge homework (the resources are good even now -- ten years after the book has been published).
Being a woman I appreciatively took in a concept of “extreme self-care” introduced in one of the chapters. All their lives women are engaged in caring for others, oftentimes forgetting about themselves. This is a great reminder to stop and think about what I could do for myself.
Other helpful advice came in the form of questions. Answering those questions and taking action one week at a time brought small positive changes to my life.
The book is packed with helpful suggestions. One of the first suggestions the author made was to find a partner or a group of like-minded friends who are also interested in changing their lives for the better. These friends help encourage you to take action and to celebrate success together.
After a while I started thinking "Can it get even better?" And yes, it did. As I read on and implemented new ways every week my life started to improve on different fronts. Following the program was easy and making changes was fun. If you can't afford a coach for a full year, at this point in your life, this book is the way to go.
Visit Amazon's Book of the Month Site

No comments:

Post a Comment